South Asian Seas Progamme - Action Plan
Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM)
Activities selected for the implementation by South Asian Member States:
(a) Preparation of Coastal Profiles, including:
- project scope, i.e. definitions, geographic boundary;
- identification of issues and priorities;
- preparation of development outlooks and strategies for their achievement, and analysis of the social and economic implications of the proposed strategies;
- identification of information gaps;
- proposal for the preparation of a comprehensive and integrated management plan;
- analysis of the legal and financial requirements posed by the ICZM Project Proposal; and
- proposal for the institutional arrangements needed to support the co-ordination and implementation of the pilot project.
(b) Analysis and Forecasting, including:
- surveys and research on selected issues within sectors of human and economic activities
- analysis of natural systems, and human and economic activities in the coastal area;
- assessment of exposure to risks, e.g. sea-level rise, natural hazards; and
- preparation of resource atlas.
- The purpose of this phase is to provide an analytical basis for the establishment of precise goals and objectives and definition of management strategies for sustainable development in the coastal area.
(c) Definition of Goals and Strategies, including:
- refinement and adoption of goals and objectives;
- preparation of strategies; and
- evaluation of and decision on the most suitable energy.
- Decision-making bodies at the highest level must approve of the goals and strategies of environmentally sustainable development in the coastal area concerned.
(d) Integration of detailed Plans and Management Policies, including:
- establishment of procedures for the approval and periodic revision of the plan;
- identification of those authorities which will adopt the planning policies and introduce the planning controls into their operations;
- definition of expenditure priorities and the technical personnel required to implement the plan; and
- specify the instruments to be used in the plan implementation.
(e) Implementation of Plans
- The plan implementation will be most efficient if implemented in well-defined phases.